Sunday, April 22, 2012

Little Bitty Baby Bishop

I used "Lullaby" AS&E issue 76 on poly cotton batiste.

You know, every time I make this bitty baby bishop (that's a mouthful); I can't get over how tiny of a dress it is. Just amazing! I only had to buy buttons. I'm thinking the next time buttons go half price at Hancock's, I'm going to stock up on a few cards of the ones I used for this bishop.
I have to ask; has anyone ever sewn one french seam to the outside and one to the inside? Well, you guessed it, that's what I did. Didn't realize it until I had the lace on the bottom almost done. Since that had to happen, I decided to stitch the same trim over both seams and call it good. And it just goes to show that you shouldn't be sewing when you are tired, because mistakes happen. Yep, I was sewing at midnight. So there's my funny for the week.
I hope the mommy-to-be likes this dress. Now I just need to make the bloomers and bonnet. But first, I'm going to sew up a dress and skirt for myself.
Happy stitching everyone!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Newest Dress

I used fabric from Hancock Fabrics, M'Liss print (Springtime Floral II) and for the bodice I used sateen (my favorite solid cotton).  This is the second design-by-me plate I've ever done. This one was a challenge. The only other self designed plate I've ever done is in the last pic posted. I'd have to say it was a success. At least, I like to think so. I think the individual little borders kind of look like ribbons.

I took the pics at work in our break room after finishing stitching on the buttons during my lunch break. I used Butterick 4842 size 4. When I first started this project, I wasn't planning on putting buttons at the top of the ribbon streamers, but I decided there was something missing.

Maybe I should name this dress, The Maypole Dress; because of all the streamers, it kind of reminds me a little bit of a maypole.

I had to repost this pic. It was for a FB challenge that ended yesterday. I need to get this dress stitched up soon. Well, I'm working on a newborn bishop for a friends' daughter who is pregnant with a girl after many miscarriages. So I think I need to also make a matching bonnet and maybe some smocked socks and of course, matching bloomers. My friend says they will probably take the baby early, so this dress is only about 9" long. It's a little bitty dress. Kind of like making doll clothes.
I'm also meeting another friend Monday for a sew day. Those are so much fun!
Happy smocking everyone!

Monday, April 9, 2012

Sharing News

In this latest issue of AS&E; I have the pic of the dress I put into the fair last summer published! Isn't that absolutely awesome?! (Yes, I'm a product of the 80's, complete with jargon). I'm in the upper left-hand corner. I read the letters and interviews in every issue. I enjoy learning what others are up to, what challenges lead some to learn to smock and the joys each has from sharing their love of smocking. If any of you are as nuts for smocking as I am, you will understand my excitement over this. The only thing that would be better would be having my own design published. And since being involved with the smocking challenge of designing my own smock plate, well, I'm definitely interested in going in that direction now. I'm seriously thinking in that direction. But that could be years down the road. Maybe I should make that a retirement goal.
I've been hard at work on my next model garment for work. I couldn't find a smock plate that I was happy with, so you guessed it. I'm made my own. Well, it's more of a smock-as-you-go kind of thing. I did take some of my stitching, but the overall design I think will work well with the fabric print.
I'm totally amazing with the designs that some ladies come up with in AS&E. Well, I'm off to work on my design. I will hopefully be stitching the dress together later today. I'll share as soon as I get it done. Happy smocking everyone!

Wednesday, April 4, 2012


Well, I'm finished with designing my own smock plate for Adorable Heirlooms challenge. I thought I might have problems, but not really. I couple of take outs, but all in all; I had fun with it. And I'm sure that was the whole thing.
I've laid the insert on my inspiration fabric. I purchased this print at Hancock's last summer. I was going to use it for a different project, but I needed a piece for this challenge and this is the one that spoke to me. So of course I listened and this is the results for the smock plate. Do I want to go into designing my own smock plates? Well, hmmm, maybe. It's definitely got me thinking in a new direction. I'm sure Laurie at Adorable Heirlooms will be happy to hear that.

I use NewLook 6115, size 4.

The fabric is a M'Liss print from Hancock Fabrics. It wasn't selling well, so here's what I stitched up to help move the fabric. I think it turned out pretty cute. I did have a problem with getting the yoke to lay flat, but not enough to hate the pattern. I changed the back to a button opening instead of a zipper. I really hate putting in zippers and would rather do buttons. I don't do automatic buttonholes. My machine is old and doesn't have that function. But since I'm used to it, I don't mind at all.
When I do have to put in a zipper (on my own skirts) WonderTape is my best friend.
My next project is using another M'Liss print, but it's blue. And I'm going to do the top with white sateen and smock in blues, coral and light olive green. It has big daisies on it. So of course, I will have to do some bullion daisies. Well, I'm off to pleat 24 rows and pick out my floss colors.
Happy smocking!