Another entry for the fair is done. I got the pattern from SB issue 102. It has tropical fish on the cover. Since stacked cables are not my fave smocking to do, I chose to download the free goldfish design from Kathy Dykstra. It's on the Martha Pullen website. You can use any pattern for a sundress. This one is a halter dress and is shirred in the back with three rows of 1/4" elastic.
I used a M'Liss print from Hancock Fabrics. It's from the "Josie's Aquarium" group; perfect for this dress! I used the instructions for a size 5/6. I thought the fish needed to have bubbles coming out of her mouth, so I added some pearls in graduated sizes.
Here's a shot with the goldfish out of the bowl. In the SB article, they used clear plastic for the fishbowl. I chose to use organza. I wanted the dress to be easy care. For the little goldfish, there was a print of underwater fish fabric, also from Hancock Fabrics. I cut out two fishies, used iron-on interfacing, zigzagged around eat fish, trimmed them and then hand-stitched them together with a blanket stitch. I used a pen to stuff polyfill into my little goldfish. The pocket is a little skued, but still really cute!
Now before I can dye the fabric for a jacket to go with another dress, I need to go by more tea. I drank the last of it this morning stitching up the goldfish. Well, I better get a move on or I will never get finished!