Sunday, July 15, 2012

I Copied a Dress

Well, here's the finished dress I promised everyone. I first saw a similar dress on Pinterest. A wonderful place for inspiration! Although, I have to say, I don't know if I need help in the inspiration dept. I think I have more than enough plans for dresses in my head. But what the heck, you can never have enough inspiration! This was the first time I've tried folding the fabric over before putting through the pleater. Don't know if I will ever do that again. Not saying it doesn't make a lovely ruffle at the top and I do LOVE ruffles! But having the that part folded over does make it bulky and a little hard to go thru the pleater. I think I should have put some French Fuze on the back of part of the piece of fabric. Well, live and learn! This was kind of an experiment to see if I could copy a dress. Another problem I had was the top of the ruffle wanting to poof out, so after sewing the insert into the dress, I went back and stitched yellow hand-quilting thread back thru the pleats on the back to keep the smocking from stretching out. I'm a much happier person now.

Here's the original dress I saw on Pinterest. I'm sure you can see why I couldn't resist! I used McCalls 6020 and made a size 7. I had barely enough fabric to make a 2 inch hem. I usually like to do 4 inch hems, but sometimes you have to compromise a little. My hairdresser's granddaughter will love it!

As you can see, I added bling. I was thinking to add a white sash like my inspiration dress, but when I put white up it . . . . YUCK! Fuchsia it was. So the hunt through the fabric store began. I tried ribbon, but we didn't have any at my Hancocks, but not a ribbon of the correct color was to be found. I saw this perfect colored taffeta and didn't care it is a stretch taffeta either. I figured "why look any longer when I found the perfect one". Oh, I used some fabric from the garage sale I went a few weeks ago to make the piping and covered buttons. Matches perfectly!

I think I need to add another sash keeper to make the bow stay put. Either or the next time I make a similar dress, make it so I have taffeta in front and organza in the back. You get a nice poofy bow w/o a huge knot in the middle of a princess' back. But I have to remind myself this was an experiment to begin with. I wanted to see if I could make a copy and I think it was a success!
Then next think I started smocking is one that is bargello smocking. Never done any of that, but I always wanted to try that, so here goes. Well, I think I've talked your ears off enough for this post. Happy smocking everyone!


5Bent Needles said...


you have made a gorgeous are correct, the fuschia is a perfect colour sash.
Luckly little girl

Karen said...

Another beautiful dress! I love all the princess dresses you have made but the last Hoffman challenge dress is particularly beautiful with that lovely collar. The little girls you sew for are truly blessed by your talents and kindness.