Friday, August 27, 2010

Surf Monkeys

Smock plate is "Sock Monkeys" from Little Memories
Last Sunday I had some how hurt my ankle (have no idea how), great excuse to do some smocking, like I need any. Just after the Fair I went to a local quilt shop, The Quilt Crossing, and found the cutest surfing monkeys. After seeing that fabric, nothing else was speaking to me, so I just had to get some. It goes perfectly with the smocked insert in the pic don't you think? The smock plate originally had 2 monkeys, but I think for a baby romper, which this is going to be, would be too much. Don't want to overwhelm the baby. I spent most of Sunday stitching and finished up the monkey. Backsmocking was done the previous week on my lunch break at work.
Since I have no time with the sewing machine this week, I got started on hand-basting 2 layers of orchid tulle atop lavender dull satin, both purchased at Hancock Fabrics, where I work. Originally I was going to do the dress up in crystal blue from the same line of fabric, but we were out of one of the fabrics. My inspiration dress is the one on the cover of AS&G issue 90. I love that dress! The pattern calls for rayon floss, but I love using silk floss. There's nothing like the luster on silk. I already have the crystals I need for the beadwork, so all I have to do is finish the hand-basting.
As you all know, I've been part of Jeannie Baumeister's Sew-A-Long. Today we get to do the embroidery on the daygown. YEAH! That's my favorite part of this whole project. Not to say that the rest of it hasn't been a learning experience. I've always done hems, stitched on buttons, finished the self lining on my smocked dresses by hand. So I feel a little more knowledgeable. What I should get is a french hand sewing book. Hmmm . . . . well, Ebay and Amazon would be a good idea I think. Okay, now to go embroider. Happy stitching everyone.

1 comment:

Ellie Inspired said...

Your picture smocking is FANTASTIC! That is going to look really cute with that fabric!
Laura