Tuesday, June 19, 2012

More Summer Dresses


Can't believe it's been so long since I'm posted. I've been a very busy girl the last couple weeks. I'll tell you about that in a little bit. First of all, I'm pretty proud of myself. The fabric for this dress was from the flatfolds at Hancock Fabrics ($2 per yard)!


The pattern I used was a NewLook. No they don't have anything smocked, but I converted both front and back. Any front button jumper/sundress will work great. I used the entire 45" width. I measured down about 3" from the center front, added in seam allowances and cut straight across. Did the same for the back of the dress. So you can turn an a-line jumper into a gathered dress. The smocking does blend in more than I really wanted, but whatever little I give this to won't care in the slightest.


The smock plate is from issue 87 AS&E "Summer Blossoms". I exchanged the bullion daisies for red 1/4" buttons and added some bullion leaves. I wanted to give this dress a more "back to school" flavor. I will need to change out the original butterfly collar for a peter pan collar and of course I need to change the sleeves to puff sleeves. And let's not forget this dress needs a belt instead of ties. I purchased some lemon gingham check for piping, but not sure if I will stay with that decision. The more I think about it, I may change and use a tan gingham. I'm thinking I should put this dress in the "Back to School" dress group at the fair. I'm very happy with how it's turning out so far.

Now for some fun news. I've finished the smocking on my dress for the Hoffman Challenge. Yeah! No, I'm not going to post a pic of the smocking yet, but it's pretty and there is bling. I need to get that dress finished in the next few weeks and sent out. Since the smocking is done, I shouldn't have any problems finishing it. I do need to get going on the embroidered collar though.
Next bit of fun news is I'm going to test another pattern for Laura at Ellie Inspired. I had the best time helping her out for the Alice Blue pattern. I just don't know what Laura's going to come up with. And I can't wait to get the info and start working on it.
After work tomorrow, I will be on vacation through next Monday! Need to spend some time with the sewing machine. Lord knows I have plenty of things to choose from to sew up. More than I'm wanting to admit to.
Happy smocking everyone!

No comments: