Thursday, April 19, 2012

Newest Dress

I used fabric from Hancock Fabrics, M'Liss print (Springtime Floral II) and for the bodice I used sateen (my favorite solid cotton).  This is the second design-by-me plate I've ever done. This one was a challenge. The only other self designed plate I've ever done is in the last pic posted. I'd have to say it was a success. At least, I like to think so. I think the individual little borders kind of look like ribbons.

I took the pics at work in our break room after finishing stitching on the buttons during my lunch break. I used Butterick 4842 size 4. When I first started this project, I wasn't planning on putting buttons at the top of the ribbon streamers, but I decided there was something missing.

Maybe I should name this dress, The Maypole Dress; because of all the streamers, it kind of reminds me a little bit of a maypole.

I had to repost this pic. It was for a FB challenge that ended yesterday. I need to get this dress stitched up soon. Well, I'm working on a newborn bishop for a friends' daughter who is pregnant with a girl after many miscarriages. So I think I need to also make a matching bonnet and maybe some smocked socks and of course, matching bloomers. My friend says they will probably take the baby early, so this dress is only about 9" long. It's a little bitty dress. Kind of like making doll clothes.
I'm also meeting another friend Monday for a sew day. Those are so much fun!
Happy smocking everyone!


harun said...

Fabulous,baby girl looking very cute and adorable,these type of dresses suits on babies very well,but in my opinion parents should buy comfortable and soft cloths.
baby dress

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Your smocked dress is so bright and "springy". Maypole is great name. Well done.